All we need is love.

The opening line of one of my favorite movies, Love Actually is - as far as I know, when the twin towers were hit, none of the phone calls of people on board were messages of hate or revenge, they were actually of love.

On days like today when I get upset and disappointed with the state of the world we live in and how we are all doomed and how unjust it would be to procreate, to bring another life into this nasty world, I think about the lines from the movie. Today when the explosions took place in Boston, social media burst with outrage and disgust and everyone, well, was just as let down as I was. However the single piece of news that has stayed with me 6 hours later, is about how the runners after crossing the finish line, kept running so they could donate blood at the hospital to the victims.

Being the kind of person I am, situations like these get to me fairly easily. I feel sad and angry and upset very quickly and also extremely cynical at the same time. But the thought that keeps me going is that for every dark inhuman act there are millions of other acts of love that go around the world every day. They may not be significant or extra ordinary, but they are there.

I spent a good number of hours at work today thinking about why people do these things, why is life so unfair and all the negativity around us. Needless to say I was in a horrible mood by the end of the day. I kept thinking about how pieces of me just die inside when you hear about such stuff. Whether it’s Sandy, Newton, Delhi, Steubenville or any of the other unimaginable things that have happened in the recent past. I strongly feel humanity has taken a couple of steps back in the last few months. But the crazy thing is, as shallow as this may sound, while I was in my own world of gloom - a colleague mentioned something, which reminded me of a person who is special to me in a very teenage dream kind of way - and I smiled. And it was funny, because I felt bad smiling, but at the same time I couldn’t help but notice that 1 thought of love could over power my 3 hours of constant dwelling over hate.

And for the first time I knew what it meant when everyone says that love conquers all. It takes me back to my favorite book of all times, harry potter, how one thought of love was powerful enough to destroy thousands of deathly shadows.

So keep loving people, have faith, be kind to one another, stay beautiful and pray for those who need it.

P.S. - high five to everyone who got the dementors reference
P.P.S - Imagine - John Lennon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck in reverse

Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd.

25 before, after or during 25.